Saturday, September 4, 2010

A Second Life for Old Furniture

Furniture fills a room - but it's the right combination of pieces that make a tasteful statement communicating your style to guests. What might have once been an old, nondescript item in a forgotten corner can now have new life and reason to become the conversation piece no one misses. Whether it's recovering the seat of a corner chair with a contemporary fabric mixing fresh newness with classic traditionalism, scouring antique flee markets for a shabby chic combination of elements, or hand-painting a themed composition or scene on the primary surface, my passion is reviving treasures of a bygone era for current living. It's amazing how a tired piece is transformed with a few brush strokes.


A favorite finished product of mine is the coffee table where I sanded the silhouetted sketch, painted my family's house heroed in the center, and after a few coats of varnish, applied gold leaf to the edging of the table as a special touch.

Subtleties were thoughtfully incorporated as a nod to my heritage. With ancestors having traveled from Ploos van Amstel to Cincinnati, it was pivotal to bridge this connection by including a tulip as the hierarchical focus. My childhood Glendale home was built and designed by the family over 100 years ago. Having discovered old, black & white photographs capturing its construction was all the inspiration I needed to fuel my decision, and begin painting.


Additional pieces I've painted include Springer Spaniels, vegetables and ferns. All begin with a thumbnail sketch washed in loose color before the real project begins!


Next personal project on the list, painting a destination scene on my headboard.

The Painted Memory
www.thepaintedmemory.com

No comments:

Post a Comment