Monday, May 17, 2010

Chinoiserie Chic - I'm captivated!

My recent exploratory of Chinese style lattice - sparked a quick sketch session. Bringing out the conte crayons from art class and a scrap of craft paper were all I needed at midnight to capture the idea-spring in my imagination swirl.

More than 3,000 years ago the Chinese began using wooden lattice designs in their windows. The smooth inside of the lattice has traditionally been covered with paper, which is replaced each year on New Year’s Day. In the 1920s and 1930s, Daniel Sheets Dye collected over 1,200 examples of lattice designs, and these were later published by Dover Publications in two books: Chinese Lattice Designs (1974) and The New Book of Chinese Lattice Designs (1981)
http://www.quiltedgallery.com/quilts/chinese/chinese_lattice_1.html

Principles of Chinese lattice are grounded in a rhythmic composition of geometric shapes, layering of lines with a consistent weight, and tailored embellishments without over-the-top flourish. A classic addition worth considering adding to your home as a piece of art, wallpaper or textile that adds interest and will stand the test of time.







A favorite book of mine that elegantly depicts Chinese pagodas with a stunning array of lattice interpretations.
http://www.amazon.com/Chinoiseries-Bernd-H-Dams/dp/0847830462


Enamored by the allure of textile creation, I translated this energy into a new repeat pattern suitable for a lovely powder room wall-covering - heroing pristine white, a painter's swish of light blues and taupe ribbons resembling streamers falling at an angle. The repetition of china urns checkered with an impressionistic landscape exudes a calming cadence – so pretty for window treatments or wallpaper.



The Painted Memory
www.thepaintedmemory.com

2 comments:

  1. I'm in a Chinoiserie phase myself. Everywhere I turn there is some spinoff from the ancient lattice. I think your plant container is fantastic. I just may have one built....or even two for the terrace. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of this! It's definitely one of my favorite design styles, having always love Chinese culture. Do you follow this blog: http://chinoiseriechic.blogspot.com?

    ReplyDelete